Man drugged while dining in
ROHYPNOL and a rump steak wasn't what a Yamba resident expected from the menu of a Yamba licensed premises when he ate there last Saturday night.
But that was the disturbing reality of the man's dining experience, revealed after he was rushed to hospital and doctors told him he had ingested the infamous "date rape" drug.
For legal reasons the Daily Examiner cannot name the licensed premises, or where it is located.
But the frightening incident could have happened to a young woman, who may not have fared as well as the man did.
As it was he woke up in Maclean hospital on Sunday morning with vague memories of the night before.
The man, who did not want to be named, said he did not report the incident to police.
The Daily Examiner has received reports of several incidents of drink-spiking in the Clarence Valley in recent years.
Rohypnol is a sedative related to valium, but claimed to be more than 10 times more powerful.
With this incident occurring close to the Christmas holidays - popular season for revellers - people consuming alcohol are reminded to remain vigilant when indulging.
What to watch
- Never leave drinks unattended.
- Buy your own drinks and know what you are drinking.
- Watch your drink service closely.
- Don't accept drinks from anyone you don't know and trust.
- Recognise out-of-character behaviour and report suspicious behaviour.
- Don't taste other people's drinks.
- If you feel strange, tell a friend and go to a safe place.
- If you feel strange, don't leave the premises with people you don't trust.
- If you suspect someone has been a victim of drink spiking they should seek medical attention, ask for a urine test and report the matter to police.