Suspect still on the run in horror Austria terror attack
At least two people are dead and more than a dozen are injured after a number of gunmen stormed the Austrian capital of Vienna in a suspected terror attack.
Vienna Police urged everyone to stay away from the city centre after confirming there were "several injured persons" due to the shooting.
"We are on site with all available forces. Please avoid all public squares in the city," police said.
In its most recent update, police confirmed "several perpetrators" with rifles were behind the attack, there were a total of six crime scenes and one attacker had been shot dead by anti-terror officers. Other attacker are believed to still be "on the run".
"We have brought several special forces units together that are now searching for the presumed terrorists," Austrian Interior Minister Karl Nehammer told ORF.
"I am therefore not limiting it to an area of Vienna because these are mobile perpetrators."
Police also confirmed there was at least one fatality and several people were seriously injured, including a police officer. Vienna Mayor Michael Ludwig confirmed 15 people were in hospital due to the shooting, with seven in a serious condition.
The situation is still unfolding with police asking everyone in the city to keep their doors locked.
Shots fired in the Inner City district - there are persons injured - KEEP AWAY from all public places or public Transport - don't share any Videos or Fotos!— POLIZEI WIEN (@LPDWien) November 2, 2020
Local media is reporting there could be more casualties from the horrific attack, with up to seven feared dead.
In one video seen by news.com.au, a man dressed in white and armed with an assault rifle can be seen approaching a man, dressed in black, stuck on the street.
Despite the man dressed in black attempting to shield his body in a window alcove, the armed man shoots him and runs off.
The shooter returns to the street a short time later and sees the man in black on the ground and fires another shot at him.
A number of police officers are then seen on CCTV approaching the man in black and rendering first aid.
Gunshots were reported near Schwedenplatz, one of the main squares in the Austrian capital.
Local media is reporting explosives were involved in the attack.
Dozens of police have been filmed running through the city in an attempt to find more active shooters.
In one video, police in protective gear can be seen rushing through local restaurants, as diners lie flat on the ground, in search of any potential shooters.
Scenes from the shooting in Vienna. pic.twitter.com/VJiy7pRIOw— Prudent Investor (@prudentinvestor) November 2, 2020
Austria has officially called the incident a terror attack.
Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said in a tweet that police were taking "decisive action against the perpetrators of this repulsive terrorist attack".
"I am glad that our police officers have already been able to eliminate a perpetrator. We will never allow ourselves to be intimidated by terrorism and will fight these attacks resolutely by all means," Mr Kurz said, in the translated tweet.
Mr Kurz said the military was protecting property across the city to allow police to "concentrate fully on the fight against terrorism".
Interior Minister Karl Nehammer also labelled the incident a terror attack.
"At the moment I can confirm we believe this is an apparent terror attack," he told Austrian broadcaster ORF.
"We believe there are several perpetrators. Unfortunately there are also several injured, probably also dead."
HAPPENING NOW - Terror attack in #Austria. Tens of emergency units have arrived in the city center of #Vienna. At least 7 dead, many more injured. One terrorist dead, one detained, multiple still at large.pic.twitter.com/1S5BWpplb3— Disclose.tv 🚨 (@disclosetv) November 2, 2020
Originally published as MASS SHOOTING IN VIENNA: Suspected terror attack underway
Another video of the #Vienna shooting in Austria as the perpetrator is still on the run. Austrian Interior Ministry requests people to stay indoors and avoid the area as a major police operation is underway after terrorist attack on a Jewish Synagogue. pic.twitter.com/W4nZwZHKTs— Aditya Raj Kaul (@AdityaRajKaul) November 2, 2020
Breaking: Attack on a Vienna synagogue (& possibly other locations) with a large-scale police operation in response. Videos circulating online are indicating heavy sustained fire. Situation is ongoing. pic.twitter.com/Y0wEHSED5Z— Rita Katz (@Rita_Katz) November 2, 2020