Man charged in knife robbery tried to swim away

UPDATE, 2PM: ONE of two men who allegedly held up a Grafton doughnut shop at knifepoint yesterday was plucked from the Clarence River by police.

Acting crime manager acting Detective Inspector Matt Zimmer has since thanked members of the public for their assistance in arresting the two males, aged 20 and 22. 

He told The Daily Examiner two offenders had their faces disguised when they walked into the Donuts and Dairy Cafe in the Grafton Mall just after 3.30pm yesterday.

One of them allegedly produced a knife and demanded an amount of money, before fleeing the shop on foot a short time later. 

"With the assistance of members of the public, they were identified running in surrounding streets, where they were identified to police," acting Det Insp Zimmer said.

One of two males was arrested in Blackwood Close, Grafton, while the 22-year-old allegedly ran from police and jumped into the Clarence River.

Police used a boat owned by a member of the public to pursue him, and he was pulled out of the water and arrested.

It will be alleged that officers located items on his person, which they will allege was used in the robbery, and an amount of money they will allege were the proceeds of the robbery.

Both men arrested have been charged with robbery whilst armed with an offensive weapon, and faced Grafton Local Court today.

"We would like to thank the assistance of those members of the public who assisted police," acting Det Insp Zimmer said.  

"It's a significant arrest for a very violent offence and traumatic experience for people involved. It was the quick and efficient response by police and the public which resulted in this arrest."

EARLIER: TWO men will face court after an armed robbery in Grafton.

About 3.30pm Monday afternoon, police were called to a cafe on King Street, following reports of an armed robbery.

Police were told two men allegedly entered the store armed with a knife, and demanded money from a staff member.

Officers from Coffs/Clarence Local Area Command attended and arrested a 22-year-old man.

A short distance from the scene, a 20-year-old man was arrested.

Both men were taken to Grafton Police Station and charged with robbery armed with an offensive weapon.

They were both refused bail to appear at Grafton Local Court Tuesday.

Big problem with new pension pay rise

Big problem with new pension pay rise

Pensioners will receive an extra $13.20 a fortnight from this month

Donations flood into storm ravaged regions

Donations flood into storm ravaged regions

12 months later, Cyclone Debbie's impact still felt

Debbie the second most costly cyclone in Australia's history

Debbie the second most costly cyclone in Australia's history

$1.71 billion to fix damage from Townsville to Lismore

Local Partners