Sport

Nick Kyrgios banned after Shanghai Masters behaviour

NICK Kyrgios has been suspended from playing tennis until 15 January 2017 following his controversial outburst and lack of effort during his Shanghai Masters defeat by Mischa Zverev last week.

The outspoken Australian, who was also given an extra AUD$32,000 fine, can return on 7 November though if he agrees to see a sport psychologist, with the ATP implementing the conditional ban after he also got involved in a heated argument with a fan who criticised his lack of effort.

The 21-year-old issued an immediate statement on his website to address the ATP's ruling, but while he apologised for his actions and admitted that he was fully aware how important the fans are to the game, he appeared to suggest that he will not see a sport psychologist and will subsequently not return until mid-January.
 

Nick Kyrgios may be banned from playing tennis until January 2017
Nick Kyrgios may be banned from playing tennis until January 2017

"Following the ATP's decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai," Kyrgios's statement read.

"The season has been a long one as I battled several injuries and other challenges towards the end of the summer. The Asian circuit was particularly tough after the long week and win in Tokyo and with the travel throughout the continent, my body finally just gave out in Shanghai both physically and mentally.

"This is no excuse, and I know very well that I need to apologise to the fans - in Shanghai and in other parts of the world - as well as the tournament organisers in Shanghai who do an amazing job.

"I of course know how important the fans are to the success of our sport and I personally love the interaction with fans in the many different cities throughout the world on the tennis circuit.

"I am someone who gives a huge amount of time to my fans because I love and value their support. Their energy is what motivates me to reach for the top of the game."

Towards the end of the statement, Kyrgios added that he will not be playing again this year, suggesting that he has no intention of seeing a sport psychologist to reduce his ban.

"I regret that my year is ending this way and that I will not have a chance to continue chasing the ATP Finals," he added.

"This was an important goal for me. I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017."


It's not the first time that Kyrgios has found himself on the wrong side of the regulations, but it is the first time that the ATP have decided to implement a ban as punishment.

Kyrgios has clashed with fans before as well as opposite players, where he infamously told Stanislas Wawrinka that his girlfriend had slept with another player on the tour.
 


Kyrgios did receive support though from close friend and world No 2 Andy Murray, who believes that hitting the Australian with a ban and fine is not the best way to cut out the discrepancies from his game.

"I don't know if that stops that happening again. I'm not convinced about that," Murray said after winning the Shanghai Masters final by defeating Roberto Bautista Agut.

"I think sometimes players do need protecting as well. Sometimes he goes into press and says things he regrets. In those situations he maybe needs to be guided a little bit better and I'm sure he will learn from that.

"You don't want to to see young guys who are in the spotlight, struggling and making mistakes, doing things that ultimately hurt them."

Kyrgios responded to Murray's comments on Twitter, saying: "Cheers @andy_murray. Someone with a  bit of perspective…"

Topics:  nick kyrgios sport tennis



BACKWARD GLANCES: Acid spill damages cane crop

Front pages of The Daily Examiner, May 23 1967.

News from The Daily Examiner 50 years ago today

Come one and all to celebrate 40 years

Maclean High School's Class of 1977 is holding its 40-year reunion on the October long weekend.

Were you in Maclean High School's Class of '77?

Hemingway unearth another dimension to Yamba stage

UNIQUE SOUND: Hemingway will be at Yamba's Pacific Hotel next Saturday night.

Brothers' "do or die” pact to make a career out of the music

Local Partners

Casual Keanu says fame is ‘cool’

NOBODY expected much of Keanu Reeves' action thriller John Wick when it was released in 2014.

Hemingway unearth another dimension to Yamba stage

UNIQUE SOUND: Hemingway will be at Yamba's Pacific Hotel next Saturday night.

Brothers' "do or die” pact to make a career out of the music

19 dead, 59 injured after nail blast: Ariana Grande concert

There have been multiple confirmed deaths after 'explosions' heard at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

"We saw blood on people when we got outside."

Ariana Grande breaks her silence after fatal blast

According to reports quoting witnesses, a mass emergency evacuation was prompted after explosions were heard at the end of US singer Ariana Grande's concert in the arena.

The entertainment industry is in shock after attack on concert

Maclean High brings the colour to blonde production

Saskia Ramsey is fabulous in her role of Elle in a scene from rehearsals for Maclean High's production of Legally Blonde: The Musical.

Maclean High puts on high energy show

Pitch Perfect star suing Woman’s Day over ‘liar’ articles

Actor Rebel Wilson outside court on Friday.

REBEL Wilson's career destroyed by grubby campaign, court hears.

Love, lies and leading ladies in extraordinary free concert

DOUBLE ACT: Catherine Britt and Amber Lawrence are touring together.

Award-winning female country artists team up to tour latest music

One of Maryborough's most historic homes is still for sale

FULL OF HISTORY: Trisha Moulds is owner of the historic Tinana state known as Rosehill. The beautiful home is currently for sale.

It has been the scene of both joy and tragedies over the years.

The face of the Sunshine Coast's overpriced rental crisis

Alyx Wilson had to rent a $385 unit in Currimundi because the market was too competitive for cheaper rental housing. She is now renting a room from friends who own a house in Currimundi, and says its much more affordable.

Young people feel the strain in competitive, expensive rental market

WATCH: Take a tour of a tradie's dream home

5a Bruce Hiskens Court, Norman Gardens, going for $720,000. INSET: Lea Taylor.

Huge block with potential for anything

REVEALED: Where it's cheaper to pay off a mortgage than rent

6/190 Ewing Rd, Woodridge, is listed for offers $215,000. Picture: realestate.com.au

Brisbane suburbs where it is cheaper to buy than rent

The hardest place in the state to find a rental property

RENTAL SHORTAGE: Richmond River, Ballina Bar Emigrant Creek Pacific Highway Teven Interchange. Photo Jay Cronan / The Northern Star

Not enough supply to meet insatiable demand

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!