NSW question police over shooting
DID police go too far when they opened fire on a stolen car being driven down a busy footpath by teenagers on the weekend?
It is a question which has sparked passionate debate in the New South Wales community and one which may never have an answer.
Pressure has been mounting on police to defend their actions since images of what appears to be a brutal arrest were released on the weekend.
The images were taken after police fired shots at the car, which had allegedly hit a pedestrian and was hurtling towards a bustling crowd.
In the pictures, police can be seen dragging and punching at least one of the wounded teenagers while they are down on the ground.
It was later revealed the driver was a 14-year-old boy who had been shot in the head and neck.
His 18-year-old male passenger was also shot in the shoulder.
As the young driver of the car fought for his life in a Sydney hospital on Monday, calls for an investigation into police conduct continued to flow in.
Aboriginal elders from the boy's home suburb of Redfern questioned why tasers and spray were not used before firearms were discharged.
David Shoebridge, spokesman for the NSW Greens Justice, said in a statement he had serious concerns about police conduct.
"I will be referring this matter to the Police Integrity Commission (PIC) seeking the watchdog's immediate intervention in this case," Mr Shoebridge said.
Acting Assistant Commissioner for NSW Police Mark Murdoch told the ABC he did not believe the airing of the images had "done anyone any favours".
The four passengers of the car who were not injured have each appeared in court.
Police allege at least one of those, 24-year-old Matthew Dalton, was drunk and affected by drugs when he got into the car.
It is believed two officers recognised the passengers and pursued the car to Kings Cross about 4am on Saturday.
A 29-year-old female pedestrian was hit.
When the car failed to stop, police claim they had no choice but to shoot.
A critical incident response team is investigating.