Out-of-control man injures two

A WOOMBAH man, 29, has received four suspended jail sentences for his night of mayhem on August 14 last year.

Jonathon Joseph Orth appeared in Grafton Local Court on Monday to answer two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, a charge of common assault, two counts of malicious damage to property and being armed to commit an indictable offence.

Orth’s rampage began at around 9.30pm when he drove his van into the front yard of his first victim’s house in Jump Street, Ulmarra, damaging his front verandah.

The victim came out to inspect the damage and according to the police, began abusing Orth, who got out of the car, carrying a bottle of bourbon.

Orth walked toward the victim and hit him over the head with the bourbon bottle and then began to punch and kick him as he tried to defend himself. The victim was left with a 3cm cut in his left arm.

Orth left the Ulmarra residence and drove to a house on the Pacific Highway at Tyndale, where he knocked on the door.

When a man answered the door Orth punched him in the eye and pushed him to the ground.

The man’s partner saw Orth pinning him to the ground and attempted to break the pair up.

Once they were separated Orth smashed a large concrete pot plant holder.

“You wait till I get you. Wait till we get back to work, Ronnie, you’re dead,” Orth yelled before leaving.

Police went to Orth’s residence in Woombah and arrested him.

They say he appeared very aggressive to police and had to be handcuffed when placed in the police vehicle to be taken back to Grafton.

On the way back he continually smashed his head into a Perspex window in the police vehicle.

At the station he continued to be abusive and continually battered the door of his cell while yelling abuse at the police.

Solicitor Neil Johnson said that the level of violence in the assaults was at the bottom end of the scale, with none of the victims requiring attention in hospital.

“My client had issues with his victims and acknowledged there was some history with them,” Mr Johnson said.

“There was something between them, but it was never really acknowledged and never saw the light of day.”

Mr Johnson said his client had acknowledged he had a problem with alcohol and controlling his emotions and had been receiving professional help in these areas since the offences.

In sentencing Orth, Magistrate Kim Pogson said alcohol had clearly been a factor in the offences.

He said that because of the violence of the offences it was appropriate that a jail sentence be imposed, but because Orth was involved in rehabilitation programs, the sentences would be suspended.

He sentenced Orth to 12 months suspended jail for each of the assault occasioning actual bodily harm offences and six months for each of the malicious damage and common assault convictions.

He also fined him $200 for being armed to commit an offence.

WATCH: Incredible shark drone footage on our beaches

WATCH: Incredible shark drone footage on our beaches

DPI scientists watch from above

Retro community mourns the loss of Valley's fashion icon

Retro community mourns the loss of Valley's fashion icon

'You will be forever missed and never forgotten beautiful lady'

Monstrous book sale to tickle your spine

Monstrous book sale to tickle your spine

"If you love reading you should come on down.”

Local Partners