Peaceful passing for beloved bishop
THE Catholic Diocese of Lismore has announced the death of Emeritus Bishop of Lismore, Most Reverend John Steven Satterthwaite, who passed away in his sleep at Port Macquarie on Saturday.
Lismore’s much-loved bishop was born in Sydney, on August 11, 1928.
In 1951 Bishop Satterthwaite decided to study for the priesthood.
He was ordained a priest in Rome on March 16, 1957 by Archbishop Luigi Traglia, and obtained his Doctor of Divinity, after a further 12 months.
Dr Satterthwaite was appointed Assistant Priest in the parish of Glen Innes, where he served an apprenticeship under Monsignor John O’Connor for three years. In 1962 Bishop Doody brought him to the Cathedral city to be his secretary and Chancellor of the Diocese, with the added responsibility of Rector of St. Mary’s Minor Seminary.
On March 6, 1969 Bishop Satterthwaite was elected the Titular Bishop of Tignica and Coadjutor Bishop of Lismore. Tignica is a Titular Diocese in Tunisia, identified with the ruin of Ain-Tounga in the vicinity of Carthage. With the retirement of Bishop Farrelly on August 31, 1971 he became Bishop of Lismore.
In 1986 the Bishop oversaw a major restoration program at the church, which included the re-roofing of the entire building and a complete overhaul of the pipe organ.
According to the statement on the Catholic Diocese of Lismore’s website, Bishop Satterthwaite had an “ongoing commitment” to supporting charities.
On December 1, 2001, Bishop Satterthwaite’s resignation as Bishop of Lismore was accepted.