Fire truck, firetruck, file image
Fire truck, firetruck, file image

Pet dog to blame for house fire

THE top floor of a Mangalore house has been destroyed after a pet dog knocked over a burning candle.

Crews from Bagdad, Brighton and Bridgewater attended the blaze on Mountford Drive just before 1pm today.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire on the top floor of the two-storey house.

Tasmania Fire Service said an investigation found the estimated damage to be between $60,000 and $80,000.

"A pet dog has accidentally knocked over a candle that was alight causing a fire," the statement read.

"The owners were at home at the time of the fire, however this is a timely reminder to ensure that lit candles are not left unattended."



So long, and thanks for all the yarns

Premium Content So long, and thanks for all the yarns

Sports journalist Mitchell Keenan writes his final piece at The Daily Examiner

Bushfire recovery vouchers helps kids get back to school

Premium Content Bushfire recovery vouchers helps kids get back to school

$50,000 in vouchers have been distributed by NRCF and Social Futures to more than...

WE ASKED: Could there be a bridge at Lawrence?

Premium Content WE ASKED: Could there be a bridge at Lawrence?

After a recent breakdown of the Bluff Point Ferry near Lawrence, the question was...