Point Plomer camping nightmare
BARNEY Miller was woken by a man calling for doctors and nurses when a quiet night at Point Plomer camping ground quickly turned into disaster.
The incident happened around 11pm on Saturday when a campfire ignited a damaged gas bottle, seriously injuring seven people.
Mr Miller of Sawtell said he was asleep in his tent when he heard someone calling for help.
“Someone was running around calling ‘any doctors or nurses there has been an accident’,” he said.
“I was there with about 25 guys and everyone went into panic mode. They started getting as much fresh water as they could and a lot of them went over to help before the ambulances arrived.
“A couple of them nursed the youngest kid and tried to calm the mother down.
“There was a huge scene, with firefighters, ambulances and two helicopters. There was so much noise until early hours of the morning.
“Afterwards everyone was in shock; it felt so surreal, we stayed awake for along time talking about it and in the morning it felt like we dreamt the whole thing.”
A five-year-old boy sustained burns to 80% of his body when his tent and sleeping bag caught alight. The boy, Cameron Wiseman from Crescent Head, was initially battling for life after being airlifted to the Children’s Hospital at Westmead. He was in a stable condition yesterday.
Another camper, a 43-year-old man believed to have saved Cameron’s life, was in a serious but stable condition at Royal North Shore Hospital’s intensive care unit.
The man is said to have dragged Cameron out of his burning tent and News Ltd quoted the boy’s grandfather, Cecil Delforce calling the man a ‘true hero’.
“We wouldn’t have got Cameron out if it wasn’t for that man racing in the way he did ... he is a true hero,” Mr Delforce said.
Two other campers, a 40-year-old woman and a 15-year-old girl, were both in serious but stable condition in intensive care and a 21-year-old man was at Royal North Shore’s burns unit, in a stable condition.
A 15-year-old girl from Crescent Head and a man in his early 20s were also recovering in local hospitals yesterday.