NEIGHBOURS heard a man screaming hysterically and bashing on doors in the lead-up to the discovery of a 29-year-old woman's body in Michelle Crescent, Bucasia.

Cara Kirshaw said she was concerned for the safety of her four children.

"I heard a bang next door, like someone trying to smash the door down," Ms Kirshaw said.

"Then we called the police... when I rang they said someone was already on their way."

Mackay Inspector Peter Flanders said head and neck injuries were discovered on the dead woman, whose body was found Sunday night.

However, he said police were as yet unable to tell how the wounds were inflicted.

"The major injuries on the deceased person were some marks around her neck and a major contusion above one of her eyes," Inspector Flanders said.

"Those injuries... obviously show us there has been some trauma to the head and obviously some trauma to the neck, but establishing how that trauma happened is really difficult at the moment."

After discovering the woman's body, police were alerted to a 28-year-old man who had run from the house into nearby bushes.

He was taken into custody but was released yesterday morning without charge.

Inspector Flanders said the bedroom in which the woman was found appeared to have been barricaded from the inside.

However, he said there were a number of situations surrounding the death that "didn't add up".

"The autopsy hopefully will be done either today or tomorrow," he said.

"That will go a long way in assisting us in the investigation as to whether or not we can decide if (the wounds were) self inflicted or if we actually launch into a full-on homicide investigation."

The residence and the people there were known previously to police, however, Inspector Flanders said there was nothing "extraordinary about the house".

Yesterday a line of police tape had been strung across the front of the house at 4 Michelle Crescent.



BEHIND THE SPORTS DESK: Who would want to be a coach?

premium_icon BEHIND THE SPORTS DESK: Who would want to be a coach?

THE NRL coaches merry-go-round has officially spun out of control.

REWARD: $300,000 for info on man’s death near Coffs Harbour

REWARD: $300,000 for info on man’s death near Coffs Harbour

It's the fifth anniversary of a man’s death at Sandy Beach.

Maclean crash caught on film

premium_icon Maclean crash caught on film

VIDEO: Driver flees the scene following crash

Local Partners