News

Police officer who attacked wife won't get his job back

A QUEENSLAND senior constable who was fired after using a "police-style take-down manoeuvre" on his then-wife and pinning her to the ground with a foot to the chest has failed in a bid to return to the force.

The former officer was dismissed from the Queensland Police Service in September 2015 but later went to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal in an attempt to receive a demotion or have the dismissal suspended instead.

But tribunal member Michelle Howard was unconvinced and said his behaviour, which also included smashing a disco ball, threatening to kill his wife's suspected lover and accessing confidential records without a valid purpose, "intrinsically (involved) the improper use of his status, skills or authority as a police officer".

"He used his training as a means to intimidate (the woman) physically in using the take-down style manoeuvre," she said.

"I have concluded that (the officer's) overall misconduct is sufficiently serious that a suspension is not compatible with the maintenance of proper standards and confidence in the police service."

The man, who cannot be identified, also acted in an "intimidating and frightening" way towards his then-estranged wife in May 2012, before "shaping up" to a constable who came to the home.

Notably, the ex-policeman admitted to accessing confidential records of people including a couple with whom he and his ex-wife had previously had a "partner swap arrangement" but said he was only acting out of curiosity.

"Your actions do not warrant what is accepted as a second chance," Deputy Commissioner Stephen Gollschewski said, defending his decision to dismiss the senior constable.

Attitudes towards domestic violence - formerly considered a matter for 'behind closed doors' - had fortunately also shifted in recent times, Ms Howard observed.

"In years gone by, there was a tacit tolerance of violence in the home," she said.

"That is not the case now."

National domestic violence helpline: 1800 737 732 or 1800RESPECT. In an emergency call triple-zero.

Topics:  domestic violence editors picks queensland police service

News Corp Australia


Campaign to curb holiday theft

CRACKING DOWN: Maclean Neighbourhood Watch president Brian Haselum and secretary Warren Rackham get together with (back, from left) Yamba Chamber of Commerce secretary Bev Mansfield, Blue Dolphin Resort manager Andrew Parr, Member for Clarence Chris Gulaptis, Mayor Jim Simmons and Yamba Chamber of Commerce president Debbie McCredie at the announcement of funding for a new program to help reduce break-ins.

Grant from government to help stop break-ins

Thousands turn up the heat at Yamba Gourmet festival

Cassidy OSeland, Tiahnee Cropper and Sally-Jane Loy came from Grafton to enjoy day of good food and fun at the Yamba Gourmet Food Street Truck Festival at Yamba Golf Club.

Food festival held on golf club driving range

PM'S Frack Out: Turnbull calls for gas field action

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian smiles during a press conference at the construction site for the new Western Sydney Stadium in Sydney, Sunday, September 24, 2017.

Turnbull demands Berejiklian open new fracking wells

Local Partners