Rebels pre-season plans derailed after deluge
SOUTH Grafton Rebels' plans to return to the training paddock were derailed this week as an unexpected deluge kept them off the grounds at JJ Lawrence Field.
The Rebels had planned a full meet and greet with the club's new and returning coaching staff as well as a chance for prospective players to get a feel for the club.
Instead the Rebels will now return to their original plan of holding pre-season training every Tuesday afternoon until Christmas as the club sets its sights on the Goondiwindi Knockout in January.
While disappointed to miss out on the pre-season opener, Rebels first-grade coach Ron Gordon said he had been buoyed with most of his 2017 roster already confirming to play on next season.
Grant Stevens will captain again, with Gordon admitting Stevens was a natural leader on and off the field.
"Stumpy is our captain, that is locked in, and will only change when he says it's time,” Gordon said. "All of our regulars from the last few seasons are signed up and ready to go, and now it is just a communication process with a few others.”
Gordon said the club would use the pre-season knockout competition to give prospective players a chance to get an insight to the Rebels' make-up.
"We do want to take a few lads that we want to sign up at the club,” he said. "We want to field a good side at the knockout. We're going to win, not just to play.”