Electrical fault cause of Grafton shed fire
UPDATE, 4.30PM: A fire which caused extensive damage to a residential shed and its contents in Grafton is believed to have been sparked by an electrical fault.
Emergency services were called to the North St address just after 2pm to extinguish a well-established fire in a shed on a property adjacent to the old brewery site.
Fire and Rescue NSW Grafton captain Garry Reardon said the garage, furniture and fittings suffered significant damage, while a number of vintage cars and boats sustained smoke damage.
The situation could have been a lot worse, he said, if not for a prompt call from to Triple Zero from the home owner and the fact that several sections of the shed had been closed off.
"The sections which were closed off were not impacted, which highlights the importance of closing rooms when you go away as it delays the spread of fire," Mr Reardon said.
"I believe there was also some prompt action by people on the brewery side, who had hoses on it from a safe distance."
Neighbour Mary Buckler said she was alerted to the fire when her dogs started barking and walked outside to see thick plumes of black smoke coming from the residential shed next to the old Grafton Brewery on North St.
"There were no flames, just a lot of black smoke and the smell of rubber burning," she said.
NSW Fire and Rescue crews from Grafton and South Grafton remained at the site until about 3.25pm to contain and monitor the situation. Mr Reardon said he suspected an electrical fault was to blame.
EARLIER: Firefighters have responded quickly to extinguish a shed fire on a property adjacent to the old brewery site in North Street, Grafton.
The NSW Fire and Rescue attended the scene at approximately 2.30pm today and continued to remain at the site to contain and monitor the situation in the afternoon.
Residents at the scene said flames were not visible but a lot of black smoke came from the shed.
Police and ambulance also attended the scene.