A fire started in a chimney at Tweed Heads
A fire started in a chimney at Tweed Heads Trevor Veale

Six people escape house fire that started in chimney

A FAMILY got a scare when their house filled with smoke about midnight last night.

Tweed Heads NSW Fire and Rescue Senior Firefighter Dick Fraser said the Lalina Ave, Tweed Heads, property's roof caught fire from a stray ember from their fireplace.

"The people at home noticed it and we got the call," he said.

"We dealt with the rest after the owners managed to knock it down a bit.

"It caused a lot of smoke damage."

Snr Firefighter Fraser said about six people were in the home when it caught alight.

He was unsure if smoke alarms were in the house.

Two fire trucks attended the fire and it took only a few minutes to contain the blaze.

"It took about 30 minutes to fully extinguish then we continued with salvage efforts," he said.

"There was no external damage."

Snr Firefighter Fraser said this fire came as a timely reminder for people to make sure their fireplace is properly maintained and cleaned in the lead up to winter.



BEHIND THE SPORTS DESK: Should Usain play in the A-League?

BEHIND THE SPORTS DESK: Should Usain play in the A-League?

It's a Bolt from the blue, but should Usain play for the Mariners?

FBI intervenes after Ballina man's mass shooting threat

premium_icon FBI intervenes after Ballina man's mass shooting threat

A soured international love triangle led to threats

Sacred tree removal leaves council scar

premium_icon Sacred tree removal leaves council scar

Former mayor apologises to Aboriginal community

Local Partners