Mum oblivious to tiger snake bite, thought it was plastic

LIVING in the heart of Gatton, Rachelle Boekel never thought she'd be bitten by a snake in her own driveway.

The mother-of-five was bitten on the leg but she first thought it was a piece of plastic cutting her leg when a gust of wind blew through.

"I think if I had known it was a snake I would have had a heart attack," she said.

"That's probably what kept me so calm - not knowing." Ms Boekel was outside and the snake came from under a parked car.

"It felt like a McDonald's cup lid had hit my leg," she said.

"I ran after some rubbish, then the pain was terrible, my leg felt hot, stinging and I was in absolute agony."

Luckily for Ms Boekel she was on her way to Ipswich Hospital for her son's appointment where nurses told her it wasn't a spider bite, but a snake bite.

She stayed in hospital overnight and was given anti-venom once doctors determined it was a tiger snake.

Ms Boekel said she had now invested in a pair of long gumboots.



Why council wants water pipeline from NSW to Toowoomba

premium_icon Why council wants water pipeline from NSW to Toowoomba

The council wants water pumped from Clarence River to Toowoomba

'Iceman' Kapeen kicks Magpies to miracle win at home

'Iceman' Kapeen kicks Magpies to miracle win at home

MAGPIES defy the weather to get up in all four grades.

Ramornie service a moving prequel to Anzac Day

Ramornie service a moving prequel to Anzac Day

Anzac service fitting prelude to Australian military's biggest day

Local Partners