ZAC Efron collapsed after overdosing on prescription drug oxycodone in January, it has been reported.
The former 'High School Musical' star allegedly binged on the powerful painkiller in addition to a cocktail of other drugs and alcohol during a wild night of partying in his hotel room and had to be resuscitated by guests at the party.
National Enquirer magazine obtained a photograph of Zac passed out in his suite at the Thompson Hotel in New York City on January 3.
An eyewitness - who passed a lie detector test - told the publication: "My worst fear was that he had died from an overdose.
"He went through a lot of pills even though it was clear he was entering a danger zone."
As well as alcohol and oxycodone - known as "hillbilly heroin" - Zac is alleged to have consumed Adderall and marijuana.
The 25-year-old actor was so desperate to get his hands on some oxycodone tablets he asked his party guests to score some pills on the streets.
The pills street value is $30 each and he asked for 40 individual tablets.
The source added: "If he didn't have such a need for the oxy, I don't think he would have let us come into the room, he was like a junkie.
"He wanted the drugs so bad, and this was the only way he could get them."
Zac appears to be serious about getting himself clean and completed a stint in a rehab centre approximately five months ago, but the insider warns a relapse could be serious for him.
The source said: "I was scared for him. If he doesn't clean himself up, he'll be Hollywood's next big drug tragedy."