A fire broke out  at a South Grafton house this morning on McFarlane St.
A fire broke out at a South Grafton house this morning on McFarlane St. Caitlan Charles

South Grafton house gutted by fire

A HOUSE fire in South Grafton is being treated as suspicious after the unoccupied residence caught fire this morning.

South Grafton Fire and Rescue Captain Dennis Bye said when they arrived the house at 95 McFarlane St was well alight.

"There are no two ways about it. It is suspicious," he said.

"It wasn't caused by anything electrical which makes me think it's suspicious."

Mr Pye added that the fire was contained to one property.

"There were no exposures, which is the buildings on either side of the premises, which made our lives easier," he said.

There were no people inside when Fire and Rescue arrived on scene at about 9.20am.

"There were no people inside," Mr Pye said.

"We did a a search and rescue when we arrived."



TIP TOP: Basketball tournament heads to Grafton

Premium Content TIP TOP: Basketball tournament heads to Grafton

Growing list of teams to contest North Coast Shield at revamped venue.

SADDLE UP: Campdraft club carries on with training day

Premium Content SADDLE UP: Campdraft club carries on with training day

Swing into school holidays with a day of campdraft fun at South Grafton’s Hawthorne...

Businesses lose $10K every week, many ‘will not make it’

Premium Content Businesses lose $10K every week, many ‘will not make it’

An industry leader says many businesses face shutting their doors