‘Stupid’ rider had infant on bike

A 24-YEAR-OLD South Grafton man’s antics of driving his two-year-old son around on the petrol tank of an uninsured and unregistered motorbike while he was disqualified from driving was described as a “stupid, stupid act,” when he fronted Grafton Local Court yesterday.

In addition to the uninsured, unregistered and disqualified driver charges, Wayne Anthony Whitney also faced charges of negligent driving and riding a motor bike with a passenger without a helmet.

Police facts said they received a tip-off that someone was riding a motorbike on the Pacific Highway at South Grafton with a young child on the petrol tank about 10am on November 12 last year.

At 10.14am a patrol car pulled over a motor bike in Heber Street, South Grafton, ridden by Whitney and his infant son.

When they asked Whitney why he had his son on the bike, he replied: “He loves it.”

Whitney’s solicitor, Greg Coombes, argued that his client’s charges were at the low end of the negligent driving scale and he was getting his life back on track.

Magistrate Kim Pogson said Whitney’s actions in endangering the life of his son were extremely stupid but did give him credit for his guilty plea.

He placed Whitney on a 12-month good behaviour bond for driving while disqualified and put him off the road for two years. He was also fined $500 for the negligent driving charge and disqualified from driving for a further 12 months. On the unlicensed and uninsured charges he was fined $200 each and $100 for the passenger without a helmet.



Everything you need to know about the new border pass

premium_icon Everything you need to know about the new border pass

Here is everything you need to know about entering Queensland

HEAVY DEVON: Grafton’s weekly cattle market report

premium_icon HEAVY DEVON: Grafton’s weekly cattle market report

FIND out who is the vendor of the week and the latest cattle sale trends in the...

Sentencing date set for Christchurch mosque shooter

premium_icon Sentencing date set for Christchurch mosque shooter

Australian convicted of mosque murders to be sentenced