STYLEwise: Behind the mask
AS A beauty therapist I enjoy keeping up-to-the-minute with the latest advances in the industry as we are exposed to so many improvements, and at such a fast pace, you would be left behind if you didn't.
So what's the latest I hear you ask? It's sheet masks. Yes you heard correctly. A sheet for your face. And take my word for it, they are incredible and everyone should be wearing one. But before you roll your eyes and stop reading give me chance to explain.
I have heard that using a mask daily has a much more positive effect than visiting a massage spa once a week. Now that's a big statement in the beauty game so here are a few reasons to back that claim up:
1. One of the main benefits of a mask is that it offers a wide range of skin care benefits in one easy application. You can use a face mask to clarify, moisturise or lighten your skin. There is a mask for every skin type.
2. Relaxing. Another one of the great benefits of skin care is that they are very relaxing. What better way to pamper your skin and de-stress than with a calming face mask.
3. They are easy to use. Using a face mask might seem like a hassle to some but they are actually incredibly easy to use. If you have a few minutes, a bare face and a mask you're good to go. You don't have to worry about layering the right products on top of each other or doing anything fancy just apply, wait and wash off. Face masks are one of the easiest and quickest way to give your skin a boost without a heap of fuss.
4. Can be inexpensive. If you're on a budget you can save money on other pricey skin care products and just have the basics like a good cleanser and moisturiser by using face masks.
5. My favourite reason is that they are portable. You can take them anywhere. No need to pack all your bottles and jars, they are slim line and don't take up any room in your luggage.
6. Double duty. Another benefit of face masks is that some offer double the skin care benefits. Like, if you have ever seen a face mask combo, like a scrub and mask in one, you're basically getting two skin care treatments in one product. First you're polishing away old skin cells with the scrub then applying the mask to purify, brighten or nourish the new skin cells that you have just revealed.
Now just to add a little more interest I have heard on the grapevine you can find "sleeping" masks. Lighter and tackier then night creams, a sleeping mask creates a seal on the skin so that treatments underneath (like serum and moisturiser) penetrate deeper. Smooth one on as a final step in your PM skin routine (the better quality ones won't mess up your pillowcase or hair) and rinse off in the morning. Sounds like fun? Why not try them and see if it fits into your skin care routine. It certainly fits into mine.