SUNDAY SAY: Leadership a tragic state of affairs
I PROMISED myself not long ago that I wouldn't jump on the Trump train and write an article about his leadership or commitment to climate change.
However after what has been happening so far in the US and some of the rhetoric coming out of some of our leaders' mouths, I felt there was no choice.
Can you believe that there is now a term "alternative facts”? Well I would like to shed some light on to some actual facts and, please, if you do not agree with what I am writing do some investigating. Unfortunately, our leaders have become divisive and populist. I care too much for the land on which we live and the future we leave for the generations here now and those to come not to bring attention to real facts.
Trump unfortunately is a denier of climate change or global warming. He is also recruiting others who share his view.
Some actual facts:
- We are currently going through the greatest species extinction ever. More than the desecration of dinosaurs, this is the largest scale of species extinction ever to happen in the history of the planet.
- Already records are being broken all around the world for rising temperatures, we are currently going through a major heatwave and this will become the norm.
Also, when did the war on refugees come into play? Have we lost our humility and humanity to realise desperate people running from war and torture, when is it right to attack them?
Here are some more actual facts:
- According to Business Insider, terrorism deaths in the US in 2014 were 18, from 1970 to 2014 there were 3521 and from gun-related violence (domestic) in 2015 to date the number is 8512.
- The human cost in Syria so far is 450,000 people, including 50,000 children.
- In Australia nearly one woman per week is killed by their partner or former partner...in Australia.
In my opinion this is an absolute tragedy. While we sit in our homes and know this is happening, while our leaders make desperate people the enemy, that is a very sad indictment on where we are as a nation.