TAFE funding protests begin in Grafton at both campuses
OPPONENTS of the NSW Government's plan to privatise TAFE will in a series of protests in Northern NSW today.
Protest meetings will begin in Grafton on Tuesday morning at the city's campus in Clarence St, Grafton at 9.30am, before moving to the Trenayr campus at 10.45am.
The Greens NSW will launch their "Stop Privatisation Before it Stops TAFE" campaign at the protests/
Greens Senator Lee Rhiannon and Greens NSW MP John Kaye will be joined by NSW Teachers Federation organiser Kathy Nicholson to outline some examples of the real damage being done to regional TAFE colleges by the Liberals and Nationals' 'Smart and Skilled' regime.
The Greens are calling on the federal Coalition and Labor parties to recognise that their competitive funding policies such as 'Smart and Skilled' are destroying TAFE and undermining the ability of students to access affordable educational opportunities.
The Greens politicians will speak with staff, students and teachers about the Greens' plan to secure at least 85% of contestable funding available for TAFE.
Senator Rhiannon will call for an end to the current situation where TAFE is being forced to compete for public money with private providers who are ripping off vulnerable students to fatten up their profits while TAFE haemorrhages student enrolments, courses and staff numbers.
Dr Kaye, who is also a member of the NSW Upper House committee examining the future of the post-school training sector, will be encouraging communities on the North Coast to let the upcoming inquiry know that TAFE's funding must be protected.
When and where:
- Grafton: 9.30am Tuesday August 4, Grafton TAFE campus, 1 Clarence St, Grafton
- Trenayr: 10.45am Tuesday August 4, Trenayr TAFE campus, Trenayr Road, Junction Hill
- Lismore: 12.30pm Tuesday August, 4 Lismore TAFE campus, 64 Conway St, Lismore
- Wollongbar: 3pm Tuesday August 4, Wollongbar TAFE campus, 61 Sneaths Rd, Wollongbar
- Lismore public forum: 6pm Tuesday August 4, The New Tattersalls Hotel, 108 Keen Street, Lismore