Throw out foil batts says sparkie

FOIL roofing insulation has come under fire from electricians who say the product could never be guaranteed for safety and may be better off removed from homes.

Though Grafton electrician Darryl Smith said he would conduct the Government-funded inspections on homes, he would do so with a disclaimer which protected him from civil suits if something did go wrong with the insulation.

“There is no way that you can give a lifetime guarantee that insulation is not going to short-out ... if you’ve got a rat in the ceiling cavity that chews through electrical wiring with the foil on top ... it can happen the night after we test it,” Mr Smith said.

“We talk about this (other electricians) and we are amazed that it (foil insulation) is a product that’s been allowed to be put in ceilings – it’s conductive.”

Mr Smith said the national insulation debacle could have been avoided if the Federal Government had heeded the warnings of the National Electrical Contractors Association.

Waterview Heights electrician John Hough said he was not interested in doing the $400 inspections.

Mr Hough said not all circuits in modern homes were protected by safety switches – those running the hot water system or stove often only had circuit-breakers as protection.

This would be of great concern if a rodent bit through the wrong circuit and someone went to store their Christmas tree in the manhole.



Your questions about our new format answered

Your questions about our new format answered

Your questions about the new digital version answered

Top tips to have a safe caravan road trip

premium_icon Top tips to have a safe caravan road trip

Drivers are reminded to brush up on simple caravan safety tips

FROM THE EDITOR’S DESK: Meet our local team of reporters

premium_icon FROM THE EDITOR’S DESK: Meet our local team of reporters

FIND out the best ways to contact our team in this new digital world