Trio's brazen sunnies raid
THREE children have been spoken to by police over the brazen theft of $15,000 worth of top-end sunglasses from a Grafton Shoppingworld vendor.
Though police were not available for comment yesterday, Viva Sol manager Debbie Vlastaras said three South Grafton children aged from 10 to 12 had been questioned by police over the break-in which occurred about 6pm on Sunday while other shops in the centre were still trading.
Mrs Vlastaras said CCTV footage showed three thieves entering her kiosk outlet and breaking several cabinet locks before making off with about 70 pairs of glasses, including designer brands Oakley, Arnette, Otis and Revo.
Police recognised the children on the video and spoke to them yesterday morning, Mrs Vlastaras said.
"Apparently they broke some (glasses) and threw others into the river," she said.
Mrs Vlastaras received two plastic bags with recovered sunglasses from police but was yet to examine them when The Examiner spoke to her yesterday.
"They might be damaged, I'll have to have a very close look at them before I could even think about putting them on the shelves," she said.
"This is the full-on sunglass season, you need to have put in orders a month ago to get stock ... I'm worried I won't be able to replace them in time for the season.
"Things in retail are bad enough."
It is understood several watch bands were stolen from Mister Minit on Sunday afternoon but it is unknown whether the same children were involved in that incident.
It is also unknown whether the youths are facing any criminal charges or if they will be cautioned.
The Examiner sought details about a break and enter at a Prince St jeweller last week but neither the jeweller nor police were available for comment.