Truckies into Wall of Fame
THE NAMES of two Clarence Valley trucking identities are new to the industry's Wall of Fame in Alice Springs.
Last month the names of Ron Bloomer and Ian McGaw were added to the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame in the National Road Transport Hall of Fame during the 2013 Truckies Reunion.
Mr Bloomer, whose family has been synonymous with the transport industry since 1897 and Mr McGaw, renowned for his tales of tough early days of trucking, were added to the list of industry pioneers.
Mr Bloomer entered the transport industry in 1955, driving a milk tanker for the Peters Ice Cream Factory.
Within two years he was driving a furniture removalist van between Grafton and Sydney before moving to Cromack and Tranter, where he made the beer run between the Grafton Brewery and Armidale and Tamworth.
In 1958 he purchased a Ford F600 tip truck and began a 22-year career contracting to councils and the Department of Main Roads.
By 1981 his business outgrew the backyard and he moved his operation to South Grafton, where he was able to add a mechanical workshop and a gravel supply to the business.
By the end of the 80s Bloomers Transport added its first highway truck to the business carting woodchip to Newcastle and returning with steel from BHP to Brisbane.
The next generation of the Bloomer family, Mark, bought the business in 2006 and Ron, while not driving any more, loves helping him out.
- IAN McGaw, born in 1936 and raised in the Peak Hill area in central west NSW, became involved in the industry when his family purchased a 1942 three-ton ex-army Ford.
Like all farm kids he drove all manner of machinery on the farm during his childhood.
Once he was licensed to drive on the road he delivered sheep and cattle and also grain around the district.
Ian married in 1962 and moved to Nevertire in the central west of New South Wales in 1963 to a large-scale sheep and cattle property with cereal cropping where they carried their own grain to nearby silos.
Ian is renowned for telling stories of the tales told around the camp fires with other truckies in the days there were no sleeper bunks, just swags on the ground.
The Nevertire property was sold due to health reasons and the family moved to Grafton.
Ian commenced driving for George Yager in 1972, delivering livestock throughout the north and north-west regions of New South Wales, driving R200 and DCO Internationals, as well as the J3 Bedford farm truck.
In 1978, Des Yager purchased a Diamond T to deliver concrete water tanks for Humes Concrete.
Ian was a good mate of Des's and needed the work so went on to drive the Diamond T for two years before buying a new Mitsubishi FV358 which he operated trouble-free for the next 12 years, delivering 4000 tanks without incident.
Due to failing eye-sight, Ian sold the contract locally and the truck was sold to Gulf Freight.
In his retired years Ian still buys Truckin' Life magazine and other trade journals just so he knows what's going on in the industry.