Two men faint in heat in Maclean
THE searing heat in the Clarence Valley on Wednesday took its toll, with two elderly men in Maclean requiring treatment after they fainted in the heat before noon.
At 11.12am NSW Ambulance paramedics were required to assist a 65-year-old man in Maclean after he fainted in the heat. Less than half an hour later, a 71-year-old man also fainted.
The mercury hit 39.2C on Wednesday in Grafton, while in Yamba it reached 28C, the hottest day of the month in both locations.
Across the state, paramedics were kept busy, attending 55 cases of heat, dizziness and fainting from the heat.
With summer only just beginning, a NSW Ambulance spokesperson said people need to take precautions in hot weather.
The Bureau of Meteorology is predicting a cooler Christmas with possible showers and storms. Christmas Day is tipped to reach 32C in Grafton and 30C in Yamba, with a possible storm.
Try to stay out of the direct sun - this is particularly important for the elderly and very young
Drink plenty of water, and if outdoors, carry a water bottle
Wear clothing that protects you from the sun and use sunscreen
Never leave children or pets in the car, even for a short amount of time. Heat generated in a closed car can cause serious illness or even death
Drinking alcohol causes dehydration and consumption should be minimised
Drinking tea and coffee can dehydrate you further and should not replace water consumption
Ensure heavy or strenuous activities are not undertaken during the hottest part of the day
If you know of family, friends or neighbours who are isolated and/or alone, check on their well-being to ensure they are okay