Swingin’ in the chapel
CATCH the Vibe, an explosive new concert series featuring internationally acclaimed musicians in stunning performances and workshops will take place on Saturday night at Christ Church Cathedral in Grafton at 7.30pm.
The first major event of the concert series features the musical genius of jazz luminaries Paul Grabowsky, Ken Stubbs, Simon Barker and Brett Hirst, with performances and dynamic workshops to take place in Grafton and Lismore.
Paul Grabowsky is regarded as one of Australia's most distinguished performers and creative directors and is as excited as ever about the infinite potential of jazz and teaching North Coast communities with highly acclaimed saxophonist Ken Stubbs, percussionist Simon Barker and bassist Brett Hirst.
"Jazz is the celebration of the moment, in which intellect and passion are the virtuoso ballroom dancers twirling on a single needlepoint of time; the notes, the phrasing, the dynamics and attack which make up the improvisers' creation are the result of countless billions of decisions acted out in split seconds," Grabowsky said.
"Australia has produced fine improvising musicians and for Australian jazz musicians it is always a great privilege to be invited to perform and to teach, to involve people in the music that we love."
- International Roy Orbison and Del Shannon 50th anniversary tribute concert, Saraton Theatre, Grafton.
- Mick Bateman, Maclean Hotel.
- Powerhouse, Yamba Shores Tavern.
- Double Trouble, Yamba Golf Club.
- Alex Bowen 9.30pm, Pacific Hotel, Yamba.
- Dan Tuite on the deck 6pm/Just Friends 7.30pm, Grafton District Services Club.
- DJ Jess, Club PO, Grafton.
- Grabowsky, Stubbs, Barker, Hirst in concert, Christ Church Cathedral, Grafton.
- Horror Movie Night, Saraton Theatre, Grafton.
- Sugarcane Collins, Yamba Bowling Club.
- Sex Wax DJs 9.30pm, Pacific Hotel, Yamba.
- Heykl & Jive, Yamba Shores Tavern.
- Big Bad Wolf, Club PO, Grafton.
- Lazy Sundays, Maclean Hotel.
- Live entertainment from 2pm, Pacific Hotel, Yamba.
- April 9: Shaun Kirk, Wooloweyah Hall.
- April 13: Beccy Cole, South Grafton Ex-Servicemen's Club.
- April 18: Bondi Cigars, South Grafton Ex-Servicemen's Club.