Val’s happy to see chimney go

VAL Whelan is a devout Christian.

On Monday her prayers were answered when the chimney stack on top of the boiler room at Grafton Base Hospital was removed.

“It was absolutely wonderful to see it gone,” the Mary Street resident said.

It was a sentiment probably shared by nearby residents, who will no longer have to undertake the unenviable task of cleaning soot from their homes and paths.

Val said she and husband Ken would not miss the almost daily ritual of cleaning soot from the chimney off their car.

The chimney was used for the coal-fired boiler, which provided steam and hot water for the hospital.

It was removed as part of the redevelopment work in progress.

The hospital has now moved to cleaner and more economical gas-powered hot water units.

The chimney stack was erected in 1976, however prior to this there was an older wood-fired boiler, which had its own chimney.



FULL PAGE: 'We humbly apologise'

premium_icon FULL PAGE: 'We humbly apologise'

Clarence Valley Council has issued a public apology

Beating the drum for Australia

premium_icon Beating the drum for Australia

Hogden set to represent Australia at dragon boat championships

WATCH: Incredible drone footage of our beaches

WATCH: Incredible drone footage of our beaches

DPI scientists watch from above

Local Partners