AFTER the debacle of the E. coli break-out in the Clarence Valley's water supply it is timely to remind the office staff that an incident such as this has to be made public and all Valley residents notified.
As servants of the community it is not good enough for residents to hear via the grapevine about such an outbreak.
It was several weeks before I got to hear about it after repeated bouts of vomiting and diarrhoea.
Our elderly population should be spared from having to go through any extra sickness as they have more than their share as they age.
It is beyond my comprehension as to why the Clarence Valley Council does not have the ability to negotiate with a TV station to have this problem displayed by having a single sentence such as: "There is an E. coli break-out in the CVC water supply; residents must boil all drinking water until further notice," at the bottom of their TV screen con- tinually until the problem is rectified.
The problem of lack of publicising health impediments stops with the council's general manager. It's time, sir, to do the job that you are expected to do.
Duly elected councillors, including the Mayor, should have brought it to the notice of the public about the contamination of our water supply if they have the interests of their constituents at heart.
Charles John Lincoln,