Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.
Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.

Recalled washing machine explodes, destroys home

IT'S less than two weeks until Christmas and a young couple has been left without a home after theirs went up in flames at the weekend.

Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell bought their first home together in Murphys Creek, only for it to be completely destroyed 18 months later.

About 11.30pm on Saturday Mr Ramsay and Mr Campbell were sleeping while their friend Karn Sorensen slept in the guest room when the washing machine caught fire.

Mr Ramsay said he was woken to someone yelling "fire fire."

Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.
Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.

"At the first I didn't know what happened but we all rushed outside," he said.

"We were able to grab our mobiles and wallets and move our cars but otherwise the house is cactus.

"It is totally destroyed, most of the ceiling has collapsed and it feels quite surreal seeing the house the way it is now.

"This hasn't been our year but my partner and I have accepted what has happened and we will move on and be perfectly fine."

Mr Ramsay said he was shocked to find out it was his Samsung washing machine that caused the fire.

Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.
Chris Ramsay and Trent Campbell's Murphys Creek home burnt down on Saturday night due to their Samsung washing machine exploding.

"It hadn't been run since Thursday and I always clean the lint," he said.

"When I spoke to the insurance company they said our model of machine had been recalled last year but I didn't know and up until now I haven't had any problems with it."

The couple is staying with family and friends at the moment and are unsure of where they will live in the future.

"The roof will collapse soon and I am pretty sure it will have to be demolished," Mr Ramsay said.

"We love living out here but if we rebuilt it would have to be something different because I will always have the image in my head of this house on fire."

Mr Ramsay wanted to thank his neighbours who came out to help on the night of the fire as well as the Murphys Creek community who has arranged support.

"We really appreciate everything everyone is doing for us, it means a lot," he said.

Insurance assessors were at the property today after Queensland Fire and Emergency Services finished their investigation.
 



Clarence Valley fires: what we know so far

Clarence Valley fires: what we know so far

Latest updates on fires burning in the Clarence Valley

Grafton gallery now open 7 days a week

Grafton gallery now open 7 days a week

Tourism accreditation opens up new opportunities

REWARD: $300,000 for info on man’s death near Coffs Harbour

REWARD: $300,000 for info on man’s death near Coffs Harbour

It's the fifth anniversary of a man’s death at Sandy Beach.

Local Partners