Injured worker still in hospital

THE Maclean man involved in a workplace incident at Maclean cemetery last Wednesday remained in a serious but stable condition yesterday afternoon.

The 51-year-old man, who is understood to be a well-known bobcat and tipper contractor, was working for Clarence Valley Council when the mishap occurred.

While official reports on what took place have been difficult to obtain, sources close to the investigation said the man and one other worker, who was in the cabin of a truck at the time, were repairing/replacing fencing between the cemetery and the high school.

Though the exact cause of the incident may never be known, said the source, it is understood the man was loading old hardwood fence posts onto the truck when he was injured.

The man suffered severe head injuries and was flown to Gold Coast Hospital, Southport, where he remains.

Clarence Valley Council general manager Scott Greensill said last week that all plant and equipment had been released by the WorkCover team investigating the incident and, contrary to some reports, the man had not been run over by a truck.



FAREWELL: “Shirley loved Grafton, and Grafton loved Shirley”

premium_icon FAREWELL: “Shirley loved Grafton, and Grafton loved Shirley”

Former mayor remembered as woman who loved her city and family

Explainer: Two funeral homes vying for Maclean real estate

premium_icon Explainer: Two funeral homes vying for Maclean real estate

In a strange coincidence, two different funeral home businesses have their eyes on...

Your questions about our new format answered

Your questions about our new format answered

Your questions about the new digital version answered